Play-state issues with mp4 x264 files

Play-state issues with mp4 x264 files

Postby htpconvert » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:54 pm

Hi guys,

I am having an issue where the playstate (that is when media browser remembers where I am up to in a show) is not working properly with mp4 files encoded with x264. By not properly I mean that if I start and stop in the same session of MB (i.e. I don't back out of MB) it will work (most of the time) however if I back out of MB and come back in, it often won't remember where I was up to and simply start from the begining. This does not happen with any of the xvids avi i have.

Here are some details to help troubleshoot:

- using windows 7 32bit
- Using chocolatate theme (although I think it also happens in Vanilla)
- using shark 007s codec pack - set for default microsoft decoders to work in media centre - I tried ffshow and that didnt help
- files created with ripbot 264 using baseline x264

As a side issue - seeking (i.e. fast forward as well as 'skip' buttons') is really sluggish with x264. fast forward is useless (it just freezes) and skip doesn't keep up. I will skip to the time I want and have to wait for the video to catch up which can take about 30 seconds. I am running a Q6600 with dedicated graphics so no idea why this is happening

Thanks!
htpconvert

Re: Play-state issues with mp4 x264 files

Postby htpconvert » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:01 am

no ideas? :(
htpconvert

Postby htpconvert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:01 am

sorry to bump again - just hoping some one has some ideas

let me know if I did not explain it well the first time
htpconvert

Postby thefarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:30 pm

I'm having similar issues...but i can only confirm this with x264 mkv files. (i don't have any xvid/divx avi's.)

I've tried playstate with about every theme out there, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. To be honest though, it seems to be NOT working for me for most of the time. I know the machine that i'm watching the file on is saving to my central playstate folder as i check to see if a file has been put in there. I have 3 machines all setup the same, all looking at the shared playstate folder etc...all seem to be affected the same way.

Does it make any difference whether you press stop or pause as to whether playstate works? Do you need to allow a certain amount of time for other machines to catch up on the status of your vid that you are watching? Are some themes know for not working with playstate?
I haven't done any major testing on this issue yet, hence the questions, but is it safe to assume that at this moment in time, playstate is not an exact science?

Much appreciated if anyone can shed some light on this one.

ta
thefarmer

Postby tylor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:48 pm

Have you guys read the knowledebase article?

http://community.mediabrowser.tv/permal ... -computers

UNC paths need to be used & as a side note, playstate will not work if you have enabled SQLite..

As far as I can remember (before I started using SQLite) playstate worked fine on x.264 files
tylor

Postby thefarmer » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

yes on both i'm afraid.

knowledgebase read
unc path used

I'll see if i can test some further to try and perhaps isolate a particular situation. It seems pretty haphazard to me, but there might be some condition that is causing it.
thefarmer

Postby ulrick65 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:16 am

I have my playstate saved locally in the default area and have the same problem. I have reinstalled multiple times, cleared the cache more times then I can count, etc. but I have never been able to get saved playstate to work consistently. It works on occassion...but that is rare and mostly never works at all. I have tried pause then exit, stop then exit, stop then done, stop, play, stop, done, etc. etc. but can't find any combination that works consistently.

I gave up... Most of my files are .mkv's too, so skipping ahead through 1.5 hours on a movie 5 seconds at a time is a REAL pain in the arse...

C'est la via...I have learned to live with it. :cry:
ulrick65

Postby Rominator » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:24 am

ulrick65 wrote:I gave up... Most of my files are .mkv's too, so skipping ahead through 1.5 hours on a movie 5 seconds at a time is a REAL pain in the arse...

If you running 7MC you can change the skip interval

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/02/changing ... rvals.html

Ive changed mine and this works realy good
Rominator

Postby tylor » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:08 am

You don't even needto adjust the skip interval in windows 7 as there is also another little trick..

Simply type a number into your remote control and press ff to skip to specific points/times in the movie. (100 for every 1 minute)

i.e. to skip forward 5 minutes type 500 then press ff, to skip forward 30 minutes type 3000 then press ff

;)
tylor

Postby birkoff » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:15 am

tylor wrote:You don't even needto adjust the skip interval in windows 7 as there is also another little trick..

Simply type a number into your remote control and press ff to skip to specific points/times in the movie. (100 for every 1 minute)

i.e. to skip forward 5 minutes type 500 then press ff, to skip forward 30 minutes type 3000 then press ff

;)

this should be on the knowledgebase! I've read it before somewhere and it's a very neat trick.
don't know which topic would be suitable though...
birkoff

Next

Return to General Discussions